See the 2013 Best Indie Book Award™ Winners Here: http://bestindiebookaward.com
Enter the annual Best Indie Book Award™ contest.
The fact that you’re not traditionally published by a New York publishing house does not mean that you are not a great author. Authors are becoming farther and farther removed from traditional publishing and its defunct methods of selecting books for publication. Thousands of excellent authors are overlooked every year by traditional publishers. Independent Publishing has opened the door to authors all over the world so they can build a readership and continue to do what they love: write. Here at Best Indie Books, we are all about authors and helping authors to achieve their dreams and their goals. We already have some amazing writers among us, and we hope to grow those authors every year. We are working hard to build a community of excellent writers, and our two annual contests is one of the ways we will feature those authors. We hope that all our authors will continue to support one another and help grow our community. BestIndieBookStore.com and our network of sites has been helping authors for a number of years, and we plan to continue to find new ways to help you build your career. (YourBookAuthors.com, BestIndieBooks.com, and Snickslist.com. Winners will also be reviewed in The Jelly Bomb Review™.)
Entering a contest is not just about winning a trophy. It’s about raising the bar on Indie Authors and pushing them to work hard to be just as critically acclaimed as their traditionally published peers. We want Indie Authors to be recognized as real, hard-working, story-telling dynamos. And it’s really nice to be able to advertise yourself as an Award Winning Author.
As we grow our award ceremony every year, and as the bookstore itself grows, winners can be proud to say that they have won the Best Indie Book Award™. Judging is strict. If your book makes it to the finals and you win, you can be proud of your accomplishment.
Submissions will close May 31, 2014.
Nine categories will be judged.
- Young Adult
- Mainstream/General Fiction
Winning Has Benefits
1. Each winner will receive the Best Indie Book Award™ Emblem to proudly display on their website and book cover. The emblem can be used to promote your book wherever you like. (We will add the emblem to your book cover on this site as well.)
3. Mention your award in your book blurb and bio. Add it in places like your Editorial Reviews on Amazon for more prestige.
4. Winners will have their book featured on the sidebar of three websites for six months. (BestIndieBookStore.com, YourBookAuthors.com, and BestIndieBooks.com.) They will also be listed on the permanent, archived “Winners” page of this site. In addition winners will be reviewed in the Jelly Bomb Review™ and will be permanently archived on that site.
5. The nine winners will be announced on this site and across multiple social networks.
It’s Easy to Submit Your Entry
To enter, simply pay the $50 entry fee using the button below, then submit the online entry form. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A mobi or Word doc of the full book you are submitting. (The file name must start with the title of the book, then a hyphen, followed by the author’s name. No spaces or other characters. Your entry must be in mobi or Word doc format. For example: AManWorthy-CassandraOrmand.doc ) The name of the document should be a good representation of the title of the e-book so that the judges can easily identify your e-book from others with similar names. Make sure that the file name does not contain spaces and only use alphabetical characters, numbers and hyphens within the name. In addition, please format your file to Portrait, single page. Essentially, a galley proof. Judges will only review files in single page, portrait format. Do not send a PDF file. We want single page, portrait docs with each page of the book fitting an 8-1/2 by 11 proof copy with the standard 1-inch margins when printed. (Most judges will be reading on devices. Do not send a PDF.)
- Your Real Name (If you make a payment in a name other than the name on your book file, please inform us so we can match your entry to your payment.)
- Your Email Address (Remember to check your Spam folder for updates and contact from us.)
- Your Street Address
- Your Phone Number
- The Name of the Book
- Pseudonym if applicable.
- The book must be in one of the nine categories allowed. ( Romance, Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Dystopian, Action/Adventure, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Horror, Mainstream/General, Young Adult, Children’s, or Nonfiction.)
Books must be independently published. (This means the book must be self published by the author. In other words, published without the involvement of an established third-party publisher.) If you are self published through sites like Amazon’s KDP, Smashwords, Createspace or Pubit, or you are published through a vanity press where you retain your rights and remain autonomous, you can enter your book in the Best Indie Book Award™ contest.
Fiction entries are limited to independently published, full length novels consisting of 45,000 words or more.
Non-fiction entries are limited to independently published books of 25,000 words or more.
There is no word count minimum for children’s books.
We will accept any indie book that has been published after 2008.
All entrants must be 18 years old or older.
The Best Indie Book Award™ contest is open to anyone who has independently published the book they wish to enter. (You do not have to be listed on any of our sites in order to enter a book in the contest, but your book does have to be fully independently produced.)
If an entrant pays for entrance into the contest and does not submit a mobi or Word doc of their complete book, the entry fee will be forfeited by the author.
We only accept mobi or Word doc formats of your complete novel; all other formats will result in immediate disqualification from the contest and your entry fee will be forfeited.
If there are no viable books (books written well enough to achieve award status) in a particular category, we reserve the right not to present an award for that specific category. No refund will be given to the entrants.
Due to the high cost of shipping outside the United States, physical awards will not be shipped to any winners that live outside the United States. In lieu of a trophy, a certificate will be mailed, and the winner will also receive the digital award emblem that all winners receive.
In order to avoid confusion, you must enter your book within a reasonable amount of time after making payment for the entry fee.
Your book rights remain your own. And entrants are not obligated to list their book for sale on the Best Indie Bookstore.
You may enter more than one book in the contest, but each entry must be accompanied by the $50 entry fee. So, if you enter two books in the contest, your entry fees will total $100, and so on.
All judges in the contest will remain anonymous. No exceptions to this rule. In addition, entrant information is kept strictly confidential. No information will be given regarding the judging of the books or the number of books entered in the contest.
The annual Best Indie Book Award™ will be open for submission on January 1, 2014 and will close on May 31, 2014.
Entries will be judged based on multiple writing skills, which include story-telling ability, author’s ability to engage the reader, transitions, pacing, movement of the story, author’s skill with voice, character, dialogue,
and narrative. Grammar skills will also be taken into consideration.
One winner will be announced for each of the nine categories. This means there will be nine total winners, one in each category.
If you submit an entry without payment, your entry will be deleted within 24 hours of submission and will not be judged.
Winners will be announced by September 1, 2014.
We reserve the right to change the terms at any time.
*By entering you agree to all rules and terms of this contest and website. Entry fees are nonrefundable.*